Three Wheels



That is a tricycle, a unique mode of transportation in my country. 

But in my case, a tricycle has a deeper relevance in my life. It’s not just as ordinary as I defined it above. It brought me to the road of who I am, what I have, and where I am now.

The memory is still very clear, but I want to make sure that when the time comes that my mind slows down already, I have a ‘tricycle’ that will ride me back to my yesteryears.

It was the afternoon of November 17, 2001, a Saturday, I was riding on my uncle’s tricycle with my other classmates---Leanne, Junabeth, Rochelle, Jessica, Angelito, Jonalyn (if I remember them all and correctly). I was a graduating elementary student then, 12 years old. We were heading to a certain place. Where?

Assumption Development Foundation has become my second home for ten years already. I was fortunate and blessed enough to be given a chance to be one of the children of Fr. Edward Alban Kelly and Madame Minda Santiago-Kelly. For short, I was one of the adopted. Just like my parents, they provided what I needed, they trusted and honed what I already have, and they guided me in all the avenues I took.

One avenue was very momentous for me. It was a day before my board exam (July 2, 2010/ Friday). My nervousness woke me up that morning, and then I started to cry continuously. The first thought was to go to ADF. I rode on a jeep with teary eyes. I walked down while I was crying. I rang the doorbell. I waited for a short moment. It was Father Kelly who opened the gate for me. I was still crying. He asked, “Why? What happened to you?”. I was dumbfounded. I just hugged him while my tears were falling down. Madame asked me, “What happened to you?” I replied, “My board exam.” 
So Madame thought that I didn’t pass my board. We had a long conversation. They comforted me. They gave pieces of advice. They relieved my anxiety. I could say that I was on a roller coaster at first, but I ended on a merry-go-round.

I drive my own life now--- heading straight to my dream place. But it’s time to have a U-turn. It’s time for a “BALIK-TANAW”.

written by: loveluytakyo

Comments

Popular Posts